Developmental delays occur when there is a significant lag in emotional, mental or physical growth. If your child is experiencing developmental delays, a pediatric occupational therapist is specially trained to help with early treatment and progress to help your child succeed.
There are several types of developmental delays that occur in young children, including children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
Working with a pediatric occupational therapist can help overcome problems related to:
- Language and speech
- Movement and motor skills
- Social and emotional skills
- Cognitive (thinking) skills
A pediatric occupational therapist may use the sensory integrative approach when working with children who experience developmental delays. This approach will:
- Help you better understand your child’s behavior and how to foster supportive relationships
- Help you modify the environment to promote success by matching the child’s sensory needs
- Help your child organize responses to sensory input
With the help of an occupational therapist, you will be paving the way to creating independence, balance, and well-being for your child!
To learn more about occupational therapy for autism disorders, simply call Karp Rehabilitation at 604-420-7800!