Has your child been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD)? If so, you may be asking yourself how they are likely to fare in school, with peers, or at a job. Plus, you will probably want to know how you can provide the best opportunities for success and happiness.
Fortunately, there are a number of support systems now in place to help a child with ASD to achieve their fullest potential.
One great way is to enlist the services of an occupational therapist!
Often, we imagine occupational therapists as qualified professionals who improve workplace ergonomics or rehabilitate injured people. But did you know that occupational therapists can also provide support for people with ASD? It’s true! Occupational therapists are trained to evaluate the social, psychological, and physiological effects of illness, injury, or disability. This makes occupational therapy perfect for autism spectrum disorders!
By working with an occupational therapist, you can expect a full assessment of your child’s individual abilities. You can also expect a program that is specifically tailored to their personal needs. This includes support with:
- Developmental milestones like rolling over and learning shapes or colors.
- Functional skills like cooking, cleaning, and taking public transportation.
- Social skills like starting conversations and building relationships.
- Emotional intelligence skills like recognizing emotion and understanding the need for personal space.
- Fine motor skills like holding a pencil, drawing shapes, and tying shoelaces.
- Gross motor skills like crawling, climbing, and running.
Altogether, these skills will enable your child to lead a healthy, happy, and independent life. Whether at play or at school, you know they will have the tools they need to succeed. And you will know that you are providing them with a solid foundation for the future, too!
Or simply call Karp Rehabilitation at 604-420-7800!